Saturday, May 9, 2009

Kev to the Jumba

my boyfriend *in my dreams*
I can not believe what this guy has done. Like being all cute and smart and a youtube millionaire all before he turned 18 are not enough, he still made his own charity youtube channel! Yoohoo!
The channel is called JumbaFund, and here is the description in that particular channel.

"How this idea started: The idea started when I wanted to make a separate channel to KevJumba, where I could take my camera around and post casual videos often, something you don't really see on my other channel. Since I'm a Youtube partner, I can create multiple channels and earn revenue on this site based on the number of views I get. Rather than making a second channel to profit from, I decided I wanted to have this channel made strictly for charity, When I thought of it, I knew it had to be done. What this means is that anyone who watches the videos on this new channel (including this one) are helping the cause by donating to charity. So to all my viewers that have been following me and watching my videos, I appreciate it. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to do something like this."

Okay, who is this guy exactly? Perhaps you have all known him from his witty video on youtube. Perhaps I promoted him to you once. His youtube name is KevJumba, is a Chinese-American comedian and a youtube celebrity. Okay, I will just copy the rest from Wikipedia. I want to explain it all here without linking words. Hahaha.

"Kevin Wu was inspired to put comedy videos on Youtube by the stand-up performances of Dave Chapelle. He chose the YouTube username KevJumba because his friend used MattJumba as a screename, and he thought it was funny. Wu chose YouTube because of his lack of resources and an audience. When Wu's "I Have to Deal With Stereotypes" video was featured, his number of viewers began to increase. In this video, Wu says that the three stereotypes he must deal with as an Asian are that he is "cheap", a "nerd", and has "no social life". He tries to prove that he is not cheap by stating that he recently bought a "brand new, top of the line, TI-84 calculator". He acknowledges that this might make him nerdy but dismisses this stereotype because he does not "make all A's...in school today (he) made a B+". He goes on to say he can prove he has a social life because his cell phone rings all the time. At this point, his phone rings, he answers it, and the voice on the other end says, "Hey, why did you tell me to call you?"
Jeff Yang of the San Francisco Chronicle describes Wu as perhaps the most interesting elite YouTube personality, going from obscurity to YouTube's most subscribed comedian in a few months (when a user subscribes to another user's channel, YouTube puts the subscribees videos in the subscriber's subscription center and puts the subscribee's most recent video on the subscriber's homepage). According to Yang, Wu's videos are not strictly comedy, consisting mostly of "stuff that Kevin finds interesting, weird or irritating." Yang describes Wu's videos as "mesmerizing", although he has difficulty pinpointing why. Yang ultimately feels it is due to Wu's self-confidence, singling out the video "I Need Help With the Females" and its self-deprecating humor and relaxed delivery. In "I Need Help with the Females", Wu describes how males will sometimes ask him for dating advice, which he is unable to provide because females are like "another species" that he does not understand.
As of March 7, 2009, Wu had more than 425,000 subscribers and more than 14,100,000 views to his channel. His combined video views total to over 56,500,000. On February 26, 2008 the Los Angeles Times compared the web series quarterlife's viewership to Wu's. At the time Wu was a "semi-well known YouTube blogger" and had received 450,000 views for a video describing how he broke his shin. quarterlife, which had been picked up by NBC, had received only 100,000 views on MySpace and 50,000 views on YouTube.
By May 29, 2008, Wu had become one of three Asians under the age of 21 to be in the top five of YouTube's all-time most subscribed users with 187,000 subscribers and more than 5.9 million views. By June 5, 2008 he had become the number one subscribed comedian on YouTube, and third most subscribed uploader overall. Wu's videos have received replies from Jessica Alba and Baron Davis. In 2008, Davis created a "longest stare" contest for ibeatyou.com, a site that he and Alba's husband Cash Warren co-founded. The contest began with Davis challenging Wu, who then challenged Alba."

FYI, he is only a year older than me, and yet so witty and rich *sigh..*
The first time I met him was when I watching Nigahiga videos and then caught my eye on one of the related videos title, I forgot what was it, something about who is funnier between Nigahiga and KevJumba. So just out of random curiosity I searched his channel and has been a loyal subscriber for a year.

I am in love ever since ♥. Hahaha. Okay too much. No, but really I luuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrvvvvv him. Annoying enough? Lol.
Well tell me if you love him too, and if you do, you might find some of these Asian youtubers entertaining too: happyslip, ndtitanlady, nigahiga, and ninjadrops. Just type their name in youtube for endless laugh or maybe just a smirk. Hahaha. Godspeed.

credits to youtube and wikipedia.

No comments: